I found out the hard way that there's a side effect to eating too many beets. The next morning when I went to the bathroom, I peed a deep, dark shade of red. I went into panic mood thinking that I had internal bleeding. After hyperventilating for a moment, I realized that the red urine came from the beets. The red urine lasted for about 2 days.
Lesson of the day: Don't eat 3 whole beets by yourself or else you risk having red urine.
A few weeks ago, my mom came home with beets and asked me to make her some. I ate some, but in moderation.
Simple Beet Salad
Servings: Enough for a family of 5 as an appetizer
Note: My measurements are a guideline. Feel free to adjust to your taste.
- 4 beets (2.5 - 3 inch)
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic
- 1.5 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2.5 teaspoons of salt
- 1.5 teaspoons of pepper
- Wash beets and leave about 2 inches of stalk. Boil for about 45 minutes or until you can easily pierce a knife through the beets.
- Let the beets cool down. In the mean time, mince garlic.
- Cut the beets into strips. Lastly, mix the garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, and beets together.
- Let it chill in the fridge for 1 hour.