Saturday, October 24, 2009

Super Easy Unsweetened Applesauce

Applesauce with granola.

I remember when I was in elementary school, my mother would pack me Mott's Applesauce. On the days that I found it in my brown bag, I was on cloud 9. You have to understand, my usual lunch was plain and monotonous. Let me give you an example: wheat bread with a thin layer of mayonnaise and 1 slice of ham, and a banana. Tell me that's not torturous for a kid? That was my lunch everyday for 9 years of my life A.K.A. from kindergarten to 8th grade. In short, applesauce was a godsend even though it's baby food.

Compare the two.

I was inspired to make applesauce when I saw Every Food Fits' recipe. I didn't realize applesauce was so simple to make so I had to try it. I have attempted applesauce several times and it's been great. First time around, the applesauce was too chunky, because I didn't boil it long enough. By the fifth time, I have perfected a smooth textured applesauce.


Applesauce
Adapted from Every Food Fits

Serving size: half of the apples (Example: If you used 1 cup of apples, you'll get approximately 1/2 cup applesauce)

Ingredients:
  • Apples (I used fuji.)
  • Water (I used a little less than 1/4 cup for 2 large apples and 2 small ones)
  • Cinnamon (optional)
Directions:
  1. Peel the skins off the apples and cut the apples into small cubes.
  2. Put the apples into a pot, add water, and boil for 20-25 minutes on medium heat. You might have to boil it longer if the apples are still too firm.
  3. Mash the apples with a potato masher.
  4. Mix in cinnamon and serve either warm or at room temperature.

Note: The firmer the apples, the more texture the applesauce will have. The softer the apples, the smoother the applesauce.

2 comments:

  1. oh yumm. i tried applesauce last year and haven't done it again this fall. i'm so glad you reminded me. i'm going to try again this week. thanks for the extra tips! they're really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really think I need to make some apple sauce this weekend! I think I would have gone nuts having that as my lunch for 9 years YIKES!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails