Black Sesame Ice Cream
2 cups half-and-half
1/4 cup + 2 TBSP white sugar
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup + 2 TBSP ground black sesame seeds
1 tsp vanilla
- In a pot, mix half-and-half with 1/4 cup sugar. Heat over low heat until bubbly around the edges. Turn off the heat.
- In a large bowl, beat yolks and 2 TBSP sugar until smooth and creamy. Add a little of the hot mixture while whisking the eggs. Continue adding hot mixture as you whisk. When everything has been combined, pour back into the pot.
- Set it over low heat and continuously stir the custard until thickened and coats the back of a spoon.
- Slowly mix in black sesame seeds and vanilla.
- Pour into a large bowl over a strainer (to remove clumps) and cover surface with saran wrap. Let it cool overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next day follow the directions on the ice cream maker.
- You can substitute half-and-half with whipping cream
- You can use whole sesame seeds as well, but they will need to be toasted and then ground