Thursday, November 19, 2009

Ginger Milk Pudding/Ginger Milk Curd (薑汁撞奶) Recipe

Ginger Milk Pudding. *note: the rough texture
occurred because
of bubbles when
I stretched the milk*


I first tried Ginger Milk Pudding (薑汁撞奶) in a Hong Kong-style dessert cafe. I saw it on the menu and asked my mom what it was. My mom told me that it was ginger and milk in pudding form. I gave her a confused looked and asked her how it became a pudding. She explained that the ginger juice reacted with the milk, which caused the mixture to solidify. I thought it sounded strange, but I decided to try it. The ginger milk pudding was warm and light. It had a hint of sweetness and a tang of ginger.

(To learn more about the chemical reaction and the factors involved, click here. )

A few months later, JSB made it at home and it tasted just like the restaurant's version. When I found out how cheap and easy it was to make, I decided that it wasn't worth ordering it anymore. Last month, she finally taught me how to make it. Now I can share it with you. =) And the best part about the pudding is that it is delicious, healthy, and tastes even better on a cold day.

3 Teaspoons = 1 Tablespoon of ginger juice.


Ginger Milk Pudding (薑汁撞奶)
From JSB


Serves 1.

Ingredients:
  • 1 TBSP of ginger juice (Add more if you want a stronger ginger flavor and if want a firmer pudding)
  • 2.5 tsps of sugar
  • 1 cup of whole milk (You can also use 1% and 2%, but the pudding will be less firm/creamy and have more water content. DO NOT USE NON-FAT. It will not set if you do.)

Directions:
  1. Slice and juice ginger. I use a garlic press. Note: Use the bowl you will be setting the ginger milk pudding in. You do not want to transfer the juice to another bowl, because ginger juice will separate and you will leave the enzymes behind)
  2. Heat milk until the sides start to bubble and foam up. Do not let it go to a boil. Add sugar to the milk*Look below for another method of adding sugar [1]*.
  3. Take the milk off the heat and stretch the milk 10 times. *look below [2] for explanation* (By stretch, I mean pouring the milk from one container to the next 10 times. For example, pour milk in Pot A to Pot B. That is one time. Pour it from Pot B to Pot A. That is the second time. Repeat until you do it 1o times. One more thing, when pouring from one pot to the next, make sure some distance is involved -- approximately 1.5 to 2 feet.)


    Here's an example below...




    I can't lie. My outfit is seriously embarrassing.../hides in corner.

  4. Mix the ginger juice to ensure the layers aren't separated. (Ginger juice has a tendency to separate. If you look closely, you'll notice that ginger juice separates into a clear yellow liquid and a milky white substance. We don't want that. Make sure it's combined!)
  5. Pour milk into the bowl with the ginger juice. Cover it with a lid or plate.
  6. Wait 5 minutes and enjoy. The pudding should be set by now.

Notes:
[1] JSB prefers to add sugar after the pudding has set. She takes a scoop out, pours the sugar in the hole, and lets the hot pudding melt the sugar.
[2] For those that are curious, you do this because you want the milk to be in the proper temperature range.

2 comments:

  1. What a great idea - I've never heard of ginger milk pudding and had no idea about "stretching" milk! Thanks for sharing. And don't worry about your outfit - I have worse! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wakakaka! i bet you're getting all these email note-i-fic-ations now from my comments! :)

    !! you put chinese in your post... i thought your computer couldn't read chinese....

    :O my secret recipe is out to the world now?!?!
    haha! no, not my recipe... is it?? LOL. it's from the HK kids... very smart kids....

    your clothing... is gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails