Saturday, February 26, 2011

Science & Cooking

I was in the middle of typing up an Apple Pie for Dummies recipe until I got sidetracked looking up items on Amazon, which lead me to a Science & Cooking series by Harvard on youtube. Since the lectures are between 1 hour and 2 hours long with 12 videos, I'm sure you can do the math and see how my blog entry was delayed. However, I'm glad I stumbled onto the video, because it's fascinating learning why certain ingredients and techniques work. All this knowledge opens up a whole new world to experiment in and let my creativity take over.

Click here to the youtube playlist.

But this video (also embed below) is my favorite out of the entire series. I never noticed the power of gelatin. The only gelatin in my world is Jello. This lecture opened my eyes and helped me see the possibilities of creating dishes through the power of gelatin. It's crazy how much science is part of cooking and how much it can help elevate a dish to the next level. PS Jose Andres is a great speaker -- made me laugh, but also informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails