Mini Mocha Cakes
Note: This is a firm cake so it pairs well with creamy textures. Drizzle with chocolate ganache or serve with a side of vanilla ice cream.
Makes 5 standard cupcakes/2.5 inch ramekins
1/4 cup fresh brewed coffee
1 1/2 tsp instant coffee granules
45g (1/4 cup) sugar
25g (1/4 cup) cake flour, sifted (can sub with all purpose flour)
30g (1/4 cup) all purpose flour, sifted
large pinch of salt
10g (2 TBSP) cocoa powder
2 TBSP butter
2 TBSP condensed milk
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 egg, separated
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking soda
5g (1 TBSP) grated dark chocolate
1/4 tsp instant coffee granules
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms and sides of cupcake tins or use cupcake liners. You can also grease 2.5 inch ramekins and line with parchment paper on bottom.
- Add coffee granules to coffee.
- In a separate bowl, mix sugar, flours, salt, and cocoa powder.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium-low heat and swirl until it browns. Add coffee, turn up the heat, and boil for 10 seconds. Turn off the heat and add condensed milk. Stir.
- In another dish, mix vegetable oil, yolk, vanilla, and baking soda until combined.
- Mix butter/coffee mixture with the flour. Add another 1/4 tsp of coffee granules and grated chocolate.
- Whip egg whites into soft peaks.
- Add egg yolk mixture into the rest of the batter. Mix. Fold in half of egg whites to light up batter, then fold in the rest of the egg whites. Divide batter equally into 5 cupcake tins or 2.5 inch ramekins.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. If it comes out clean when toothpick is inserted, it's done.
- Run knife around the edge of the cake. Let it cool for 2 - 3 minutes in tin, then remove and allow cakes to cool on cooling rack.
- Prior to serving, dust with powdered sugar and chocolate shavings. Another option is serving it warm with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.