Saturday, October 15, 2011

I can't wait for the holidays. [Molasses Oatmeal Raisin Cookies]

My first memory of oatmeal cookies were the ones my mom made. She didn't use real butter, halved the sugar, and added extra oatmeal. The results were super crispy granola like cookies. I didn't enjoy them at all.


Then I had my first taste of store brought oatmeal raisin cookies and I nearly fainted. You mean oatmeal cookies weren't always crispy? They weren't always hard and lacked sweetness and butter? You mean oatmeal can ACTUALLY taste delicious? Talk about a reality check.

It turns out that my favorite ones are chewy oatmeal cookies filled with raisins and cinnamon. If I crave for sweetness, I definitely would bake my white chocolate cranberry oatmeal cookies. That's an orgasm right there. I went to the bookstore recently and found a molasses oatmeal raisin cookies recipe. I love the aroma and flavor profile of molasses so I knew I had to try the recipe.


This recipe is a winner if you enjoy the taste of molasses, spices, and chewy cookies. If Thanksgiving and Christmas had a cookie as a mascot, this would be it. From the first taste, it brings back the memories of the holidays.


Molasses Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
adapted from a cookie book from Border's (shame on me for not writing down author/title)

Note: There is a hint of salt in the cookies. If you don't enjoy that, lower the salt to 1/2 tsp.

Ingredients
1/4 cup butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
6 TBSP molasses
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup walnuts/pecans, chopped
1 cup raisins

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. Cream butter and sugar.
  3. Add molasses and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
  4. Sift flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  5. Add to creamed mixture.
  6. Stir in oats, nuts, and raisins.
  7. Drop teaspoonfuls of cookies on a baking sheet, spaced 2 inches apart.
  8. Bake for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails