Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Super Easy Apple Puffs


A pack of puff pastry has been sitting in my fridge since my n3rd party and it was about to expire this month. What's a girl to do when she is OCD about wasting food? Originally, I thought about making chicken pot pie with it, but my family said they didn't want to eat it. I brainstormed some more and decided I wasn't going to make anything for them since they wouldn't appreciate it.

Instead, I came up with some easy peasy snacks to fatten up my teammates at the school I work at. hahahah. [insert evil laugh] For our meeting, I made some cinnamon sugar puffs, which were delicious if you're a fan of sugar, cinnamon, and fat. mmmmmmm. With the rest of the puff pastry, I made simple apple puffs (similar to McDonald's apple pies, but with less fat, sugar, and calories.) Wooohooo~ Dessert without death. A win-win situation. These apple puffs are so easy to put together that a 5-year-old can make it.



Apple Puffs (aka wannabe McDonald's Apple Pies)

Servings: 9 puffs

Ingredients
1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed, cut into 9 squares
1 granny smith apple, diced into small cubes
1 fuji apple, diced into small cubes
2 TBSP brown sugar
1 1/2 TBSP turbinado sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Egg wash: 1 egg + 1 tbsp of water

Directions
  1. Heat apples and sugars over medium heat for 7 - 8 minutes until tender. Mix in cinnamon. Allow to cool to room temperature, approximately 30 minutes. [[NOTE: Reserve juice from filling, because I'll be posting a recipe about what to do with that soon.]]
  2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  3. Roll puff pastry so that the square increases by 1/3 of it's original size. 
  4. Place 1 tablespoon of apple filling. Pinch edges together and place seam side down on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  5. Brush egg wash on top of each puff. Cut 3 slits on top. OPTIONAL: Sprinkle each puff with some turbinado sugar.
  6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails