Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Tomato Sauce and Oven-baked Wings (recipes)

I had a wonderful vacation this past week. It was relaxing and I got to spend quality time with my man. There was only one problem. I started getting cranky near the end of our trip. I was ingesting too much grease in my system and not enough fresh vegetables. It only took a vacation to remind me how much I love to cook my own food.



Basic Tomato Sauce
Recipe from The Amateur Gourmet
(the recipe below was taken from his book, but his website has a similar one)

Makes 4 Cups

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 Spanish Onion (substitute: yellow onion), finely diced
  • 4 garlic gloves, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 3 TBSP chopped fresh thyme (or 1 TBSP dried thyme)
  • 1/2 medium carrot, finely shredded
  • 2 28-oz cans peeled whole tomatoes
  • kosher salt

Directions
  1. In a 3-quart sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft and light golden brown (8-10 minutes).
  2. Add thyme and carrots and cook for 5 minutes or more until carrots are soft.
  3. With your hands, crush tomatoes and add them with their juices into the saucepan.
  4. Bring to a boil, stir often, and lower heat. Simmer for 30 minutes or until sauce is thick as hot cereal.
  5. Season with salt. Serve.

Notes:
  • Keeps for 1 week in fridge or 6 months in freezer.
  • I found the sauce a tad too salty for me, because of the sodium in the canned tomatoes. Next time, I may attempt to cook this sauce with super ripe fresh tomatoes to cut back on the salt.

Oven-Baked Chicken Wings

Serves as many as you want.

Ingredients
  • Chicken wings
  • Black pepper
  • Salt
  • Garlic Powder
  • Olive Oil

Directions
  1. Rinse the wings and dry with a paper towel. Lay them out on a baking sheet.
  2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  3. Drizzle the wings in olive oil and make sure the wings are evenly covered in the oil. Liberally cover the wings in black pepper and garlic powder. Add a dash of salt on each wing and rub the salt into the wing (a wing massage if you will.).
  4. Line cooking sheet/baking sheet in foil and lay the wings on it. Make sure to give ample space between each wing (about 1 inch of space).
  5. Bake in oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until the skin is golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. hey simplypiee.

    i see hairs on the chicken wing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah....the other photos I have show even more hair...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails